Srinagar, April 18 (GNS): State Government on Monday said that the army has agreed upon to the demand of people of Handwara to remove its bunker from Main Town which became flashpoint of clashes last week after molestation allegation.
Deputy Commissioner Kupwara, Rajeev Ranjan, told news agency GNS that the Government took up the matter with army authorities and accordingly the army accepted the demand of people.
“The bunker removal was one of the prime demands of the people and we as already promised took up the issue with concerned army officials. The demand has now been accepted by the army and the place where the bunker was will be handed over to Tourism and Social Forestry department,” he said.
Pertinently, violent protests broke out in several parts of Kupwara and Handwara last Tuesday over the alleged molestation of a girl by an army soldier on Tuesday. The girl, however, has denied that she was molested.
Three persons including a woman were killed in firing by army on protesters on Tuesday while two more persons were killed in separate forces action against protesters on Wednesday at Drugmulla and on Friday at Nathnusa. (GNS)