Comedian Aziz Ansari has been accused of sexual assault by a woman from Brooklyn, New York who said she is speaking up because she resents that he wore a ‘Time’s Up’ pin at the Golden Globes awards show last week, reported Page Six. She said it brought back memories of him assaulting her in his apartment.
The woman, identified only as a 22-year-old Brooklyn photographer named Grace,’ said she went to Aziz’s apartment after a dinner date on the night of September 25, 2017. They had met at an Emmys after-party the week before, she said.
Grace shared she consented to the events that occurred with the Golden Globe-winning actor however, the evening left her “uncomfortable” and she felt coerced. “Most of my discomfort was expressed in me pulling away and mumbling,” adding that she gave Aziz both “verbal and non-verbal cues” to say she was upset.Still, the woman said, she remained in the apartment, and complied with what Aziz asked for. After that, they watched an episode of Seinfeld before she left in a cab. Grace said she initially liked him but quickly became disgusted when the sweet-faced comedian turned aggressive.
The next day, the accuser stated that the former Parks and Recreation star texted her, “Hey — it was fun meeting you last night.” With her responding, “Last night might have been fun for you but it wasn’t for me. You ignored clear non-verbal cues; you kept going with advances. I want to make sure you’re aware so maybe the next girl doesn’t have to cry on the ride home.”
Aziz supposedly replied, “I’m so sad to hear this. Clearly, I misread things in the moment and I’m truly sorry.”
The woman’s claims went viral Sunday but some on social media — commenting under the popular thread #metoo — questioned whether Aziz should be labelled a predator.
The Netflix star came forward and responded to the allegations made by the woman he dated last year.
He stated on Sunday that he apologised when she told him about her discomfort. He said he believed to be consensual, reported USA Today.
The comedian further stated that he was surprised and had taken some time to process the accusations but later reached out to the woman and apologised for the hurt he had caused.
“In September of last year, I met a woman at a party. We exchanged numbers. We texted back and forth and eventually went on a date. We went out to dinner and afterwards we ended up engaging in sexual activity, which by all indications was completely consensual,” he shared.
Aziz continued, “The next day, I got a text from her saying that although it may have seemed okay, upon further reflection, she felt uncomfortable. It was true that everything did seem okay to me, so when I heard that it was not the case for her, I was surprised and concerned. I took her words to heart and responded privately after taking the time to process what she had said.”
“I continue to support the movement that is happening in our culture. It is necessary and long overdue,” the actor concluded.
Have something to add to the story? Share it in the comments below.By Entertainment Desk Tribune