Fidayeen attackers storm DPL Pulwama; two forces men killed, six injured; clashes erupt


Srinagar, August 26: In a pre-dawn raid, militants stormed heavily guarded District Police Lines (DPL) Pulwama in south Kashmir and killed two forces men while injuring six others as they engage latter in fierce gunfight which is underway.

Sources told news agency GNS that the militants stormed DPL Pulwama at 4:10 am and resorted to indiscriminate firing. In the initial assault of militants, who are believed to be two to four in number, seven government forces men including CRPF personnel sustained injuries.

The militants then positioned themselves in DPL quarters and engaged government forces in gunbattle. Soon after the attack, additional reinforcements of police, Army and CRPF were rushed to DPL to neutralise the militants. The army’s para commandos have also been rushed to the spot.

However, sources said, the presence of families of policemen in DPL quarters hampered the operation and police first launched evacuation operation and shifted their families to safer places. In the process, one policeman identified as Constable Imtiyaz Ahmad of Qazigund was killed when militants shot him, sources said.

Amid evacuation process, the intermittent gunfire between the two sides continued since pre-dawn hours till filing of this report. On the other side, the authorities sealed off Pulwama Town and snapped mobile Internet services across the district as a precautionary measure.

Sources said the injured forces men were shifted to 92 Base Hospital Srinagar where one Head Constable of CRPF who was critically injured in militant firing succumbed. He was identified as Roy Sud Karan. The condition of other injured forces men was stated to be stable.

While the operation is underway against militants, the youths took to streets in Pulwama Town and resorted to heavy stone pelting on police and CRPF. Police retaliated by lobbing dozens of teargas canisters. A complete study won is being observed in Pulwama Town.

At the time of filing of this report, government forces had set two buildings on fire inside DPL Pulwama while loud explosions were being heard from inside the police facility. It was not clear whether any militant has been killed or not but the operation was in intense phase.(GNS)