Kashmir shuts against civilian killings on fifth day

Clashes reported in many places, 12 injured
Srinagar, April16: Kashmir region Saturday observed a shutdown against the civilian killings for the first consecutive day while curfew-like restrictions continued in Kupwara and Old City areas. At least 12 persons including eight forces personnel were injured in clashes.
According to GNS correspondent, the situation today was comparatively better than Friday as strict curfew-like restrictions were clamped in Kupwara, Handwara and several other hamlets and villages. Hundreds of police and army personnel were deployed across Kupwara and Handwara townships and roads leading to both of these places.
 However, the clashes broke out between youths and forces at Trehgam in which two persons were injured. Sources said police used teargas shells to disperse the protesters and the two persons were injured after being hit by these canisters.
Elsewhere the situation in Kupwara district remained mostly peaceful but violent clashes erupted in the evening after contingents of forces were removed at Lalpora. In the day, people attacked the cavalcade of Cabinet Minister and Handwara MLA, Sajjad Lone, at Bramri but he escaped unhurt.
In Srinagar here, the authorities strictly continued the imposition of restrictions on Old City and Maisuma areas for the fourth consecutive day. The restrictions were imposed in the areas falling under MR Gunj, Nowhatta, Khanyar, Rainawari, Safa Kadal, Kralkhud and Maisuma police stations. Hundreds of forces men were deployed across these areas to enforce the restrictions. Elsewhere, a complete shutdown was observed in city.
Meanwhile, clashes between government forces and youths broke out at Zakura and Narbal on city outskirts against the killings. Police used teargas against the protesters. The clashes also broke out in Old City after restrictions were lifted and the police responded by firing dozens of teargas shells. The clashes also broke out at Barsoo area of Central Kashmir’s Ganderbal district.
An abandoned police post was torched by protesters. Besides, a complete shutdown was obseved in north Kashmir including at Baramulla, Bandipora, Sopore, Pattan, Sumbal and all other areas. The shutdown was also observed in south Kashmir districts including Pulwama, Anantnag, Shopian and Pulwama.
A police spokesman in a statement here said that 10 persons including 8 police and security forces personal were injured in five stone-pelting incidents in Srinagar and elsewhere. He however said the situation by and large remained peaceful in Valley. In the meanwhile, mobile internet services were suspended across Valley since midnight and are still blocked. The ban is likely to continue till tomorrowafternoon, an official said here.