Srinagar, May 3: Army on Tuesday denied any role in creation of video in which the girl is seen exonerating soldiers of molestation allegations that led to a wave of violence in Handwara and other parts of north Kashmir’s Kupwara district last month.
In a compliance report submitted before the registry of the state high court, Major KS Suresh of 21 Rashtriya Rifles submitted that the video released by army’s PRO was already circulating on various social media sites.
“Army in no way was even remotely concerned with the recording of the video. As a matter of caution, when the video was released by the PRO, the face of the girl was obscured to prevent the disclosure of identity of the girl,” Suresh said, adding that nothing has been done with “malice”.
The officer said that there was no role of army in detention of the girl as well as in her molestation.
“A rumour was spread by anti-national elements which led to the attack on the three army posts located in Handwara town and setting on fire one of the posts,” he said. “It is prayed that the reply affidavit may be taken on record and concomitantly the petition so far as it relates to army may be dismissed with exemplary costs on in the affirmative the name of the answering respondents may be deleted from the array of respondents as the same will be in the larger interest of justice,” Suresh added.