Hon’ble Ambassador Vojislav Suc
United Nations Human Rights Council
Geneva , Switzerland
Jammu and Kashmir Youth Development Forum (JKYDF) on behalf of Jammu and Kashmir general and youth particulars appeal to United Nations Human Rights Council (UNHRC ) that the State of Jammu and Kashmir issue has been never seen in the light of established International law . The state became legal part of India as enshrined in Article 2 of the constitution of India vide instrument of accession 1947 and which is judicial noticeable fact .
That Pakistan was not reconciled to this accession and in 1947 sent Pakistan Military regulars along with tribals on 22 October 1947 to forcefully take Jammu & Kashmir from India and succeeded in grabbing Pakistan Occupied Kashmir (POK).
That against this Pakistan aggression, India went to United Nations (UN) where Plebiscite Resolution was passed. But Pakistan refused to abide with its important condition that POK to be vacated by Pakistan.
That this illegal and forced occupation of POK created untenable situation where people speaking same language (Kashmiri) and mostly practicing same religion (Islam) were forced to live on two side of LOC (Line of Control). Though in 1947 partition the people (Punjabis and Bengalis) speaking same language and practicing same religion were not expected to live on two sides of border.
At the time of partition, Gilgit and Baltistan were legal and integral part of the state of Jammu & Kashmir. In a treacherous conspiracy Maj Brown, a British, commander of Gilgit Scouts mutinied against the Maharaja and brought the area under illegal administrative control of Pakistan in November 1947 after the Maharaja had signed the Instrument of Accession with India. Many military historians wonder as to why India did not occupy the area despite the opportunity available during the final days of the war. After the ceasefire, in 1949, Pakistan in a master stroke kept Gilgit, Baltistan, Hunza and Nagar under its direct control rather than including them in POJK or so called Azad Kashmir. For reasons unknown, the government of India turned a blindeye to this legal and historic blunder by Pakistan. Thus, the people of these areas, mainly Shias, were left at the mercy of the Sunni- dominated Pakistan which has through a well – executed plan changed the demography of the region. In 1970, the area was named as “Northern Areas”. The nadir was reached in 1974 when Bhutto scrapped the Citizenship Act allowing outsiders to freely buy property and settle in the region. Terror camps were also established in the area much against the wishes of the locals. Pakistan ever since continues to be the illegal occupier of Gilgit-Baltistan, exploiting its mineral and hydraulic wealth and denying the people the basic human and fundamental rights. There are no legal institutions, no medical facilities and no professional colleges. The revenue generated from tourism and other assets in the area is not utilised for the development of the area /welfare of the local residents.
That the Pakistans so called “Gilgit-Baltistan Empowerment and Self-Governance Order-2009” of Government of Pakistan is a move to illegally grab the areas. Pakistan always had eyes on the State of Jammu and Kashmir; and made many unsuccessful attempts to grab whole of Jammu and Kashmir. Areas of Gilgit, Baltistan and Pakistan occupied Kashmir are under direct and indirect control of Pakistan since 1947. Gilgit and Baltistan was directly ruled and was known as Northern Areas of Pakistan – a term always opposed and denounced by the people of the area.People of Gilgit and Baltistan have been denied all basic rights and are ruled with iron fist by the Islamabad. The situation in Gilgit and Baltistan is so bad that some conscientious Pakistani call it a colony of Pakistan. Pakistani government knows that legally these areas are not part of Pakistan. Gilgit-Baltistan was not constitutional part of Pakistan and people of region had been deprived of all fundamental human rights.Pakistan has made enormous economic and political gains from these areas since 1947. With help of China they have started many mega projects in the area, which benefit both.Pakistan’s has been propagating in the last 20-years that India was denying basic rights to Kashmiris which is a blatant lie. India is not perpetrating even one-hundredth part of the repression that people of Gilgit-Baltistan have been facing for the past 69 years. The Indian Government has given people all their fundamental human rights.Pakistan had been regarded as the aggressor in the region by earlier UN resolutions and hence should vacate the occupied territory.Gilgit-Baltistan is economically rich in minerals, forests, water, and tourism and historically it was part and parcel of Jammu & Kashmir and two famous rulers of the state were belonging to the Gilgit-Baltistan region. The continuous support to terrorism in Kashmir by Pakistan is highly dangerous for the world. Pakistan often calls for implementation of UN Security Council Resolutions in Kashmir. But it conveniently forgets its own obligations that Pakistan has to first vacate the illegal occupation of areas of Jammu and Kashmir under its occupation. Pakistan is often seen as a villain, or a failing state. It Pakistan has stayed in a rut that is derived from its basest instincts. It is high time that the world unites against the policies of Pakistan to export terror. Today is an opportunity to do so; tomorrow may be late
The state of Jammu and Kashmir is legal part of worlds largest democracy and the people of Jammu and Kashmir is a full faith of Indian democracy and secular system ,people of the state cost their votes in a good faith and enjoy democracy from 1947 to till date and lost (2014) assembly elections in J&K 66.4% voter turnout and on going Panchayat elections above 50% people participated in elections peacefully.
It is high time for UNO to intervene in the issue by way of :-
1. To force Pakistan to stop killing of innocent people of Pakistan occupied Kashmir and Gilgit Baltistan.
2. UN most ask Pakistan for the immediate withdrawl of forces from so called Azad Kashmir and Gilgit Baltistan part of Indian State of Jammu and Kashmir forcibly occupied by Pakistan in 1947.
3. To force Pakistan to stop immediately firing , shelling in border areas of Jammu and Kashmir and stop sending terrorists in J&K also declare Pakistan as terrorist sponsored country .
4. United Nations should declared Pakistan occupied Kashmir and Gilgit Baltistan parts of Jammu and Kashmir .
5. To force India to provide the all the facilities of 1947 refugees presently residing in Jammu and Kashmir.
6. To force China to return 2000 square miles of Jammu and Kashmir state from Gilgit Baltistan gifted by Pakistan on its own interests to China in 1963.
7. United nations focus its attention to fulfill her morel and human responsibilities and put pressure on Pakistan to stop human rights violations in all parts of Jammu and Kashmir especially in Gilgit Baltistan and POK.
8. JKYDF on behalf of people of Jammu and Kashmir rejected the petitation of Pakistan sponsored hurriyat leaders of issue of State of Jammu and Kashmir , people of Leh , Jammu and Kashmir valley not accept the so called leadership of Hurriyat conference thir representatives.
8. UN most ask Pakistan immediate to stop sending terrorists, weapons and money in Jammu and Kashmir and close terror base camp in Pakistan .
9. Thousands of Kashmir Hindu (Pandit) was killed and looted by militants and their families
10. Thousands of People killed as per the directions of Pakistani agency ISI in the name of so called Jihad in Kashmir from last 29 years .
11. Why not investigate United Nations Human Rights council modure and killing of Molvi Mohammad Farooq , Abdul Gani Lone , Molvi Showkat , Dr Jalal all was affiliated with Hurriyat conference and we demand to investigate the killings of these leaders who killed by Militants .
Hence, the Jammu and Kashmir Youth Development Forum – a platform of young and vibrant youths of Jammu and Kashmiri state demands intervention of United Nations to ask Pakistan to withdraw its troops from Pakistan occupied Kashmir and Gilgit-Baltistan, which it has illegally occupied by Pakistan in 1947 and stop sending terrorists to Jammu and Kashmir for its own interests in the name of so called Jihad . We JKYDF also demanding to UNO and urges the United Nations team to send a high powered fact finding mission to probe the presence of mass graves in Gilgit Balochistan , particularly in Khuzdar district and UNO use its efforts to presurlize Pakistan government to stop human rights violation in Gilgit Balochistan and Pakistan occupied Kashmir (Pok) .
We request you Excellency to kindly use the influence of your good offices to save people of all parts of Jammu and Kashmir state on humanitarian bases and duties of United Nations .
With Best Regards
Jammu and Kashmir Youth Development Forum (JKYDF)
Bashamber Nagar Dalgate Srinagar J&K ,India 190001